Monday, July 24, 2006

"Tired and learned"

Right. Now I'm posting on this blog, because on my first blog, right at the bottom, is the "Sweet Revenge" post. And someone may or may not be posting on it. So if they want to, I'm leaving it on there. Hence I can't put anything else on there until they comment. So I'm putting it here.

Today we looked at heaps of stuff in Drama Curriculum 2. It was so amazing, I just wanted to debrief what happened.

In the morning lecture, we did a Greek tragedy workshop, based on 'Antigone' (pronounced Ann-tig-on-ee) and also the story of Rachel Corey, a girl who went to Israel/Palestine to help protect a Palestinian village. The link was that both of them were female activists - Antigone, who insisted on burying her dead brother (even though it was against the law - you'll have to read the play to see why) and Rachel insisted on defending the Palestinians. Both died for their convictions.

I got to play the part of Antigone! Yeah! And she makes this awesome speech to the king about how she's going to defy him and bury her brother and die for it, because she was going to follow God rather than man (burying her brother had to do with her convictions and beliefs). So yeah, she totally stuck it to him!

And one of my friends was in role as Rachel, and we were doing this thing called 'hot-seating' (where someone sits in a chair as a character and answers questions that the audience ask, in character) - and she's actually always wanted to be a humanitarian, and when people started asking questions like, "What do you say to people who say, 'It's not your fight'?" she started crying! Poor thing! But it was so moving......I think a lot of us had tears in our eyes too.

I discovered that drama is not really about drama at all. Drama is actually about life, the universe and everything. For example, in this Greek tragedy workshop we were doing (it was an example of a unit for year 11's), it wasn't about "Teach the children how to act in Greek tragedy". It was actually exploring questions of "Why do bad things happen? Are we responsible for them happening to us, or is it just bad luck? What is the difference between a tragedy and bad luck?" Greek tragedy and all its stylistic conventions (i.e. voice, movement, lyrical style, costuming, chorus etc etc) was a means used to explore those issues - and they're fairly philosophical, I think. So I knew I loved drama for a reason.

The last thing that happened was also about Greek tragedy - looking into the style itself (just for our own purposes) - we did a drama based on Medea and a story of a woman who drowned her two children. It was pretty horrible, actually. I was going to write this to debrief on it, but I don't feel like I need to so much now. The thing I did remember was that one of the purposes of Greek tragedy is to shock the audience and attempt to 'purge' them of the bad stuff by exposing it onstage......hence the absolutely shocking story of Medea who killed her own children to get back at her ex-husband Jason.

Right. So I know that all sounds horrible and shocking, but that's how it felt too! And it's over now. Hooray.

I'm off to do a few things. Please comment on your own personal learning experiences of late :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Noof said...

Who'd ya quote that from? :-p

Monday, 24 July, 2006  
Blogger Luke said...

Lol... Aaron sometimes you invite taunting. Eventually one day you'll be so high-brow that you won't even be able to understand yourself.

Monday, 31 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home